Your chance to participate in events, or read about food history/politics in LA, and get extra credit.
[description from the LA Food Policy Council]
On Monday, October 24, 2011, Angelenos join with others across the country to celebrate national Food Day. Food Day seeks to bring together Americans from all walks of life to push for healthy, affordable food produced in a sustainable, humane way, and is based on the following six principles:
· Reducing obesity and diet-related diseases by promoting safe, healthy foods.
· Supporting sustainable family farms and cutting subsidies to big agribusiness
· Obtaining fair wages for all workers in the food system.
· Ending urban and rural “food deserts” by providing access to healthy, affordable foods/disparities/hunger
· Promoting children’s health by curbing junk-food marketing aimed at kids
· Protecting the environment and farm animals by reforming factory farms
Food Day LA Activities: Over two dozen events are planned for Food Day LA, bringing together thousands of Angelenos. I have attached a list of over two dozen activities Food Day planned across LA County.
for more info see the website foodday.org.